Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fat Chick vs. Food - Week 3

Well, here we are at the beginning of week three. This week went OK, but similar to last week not perfect. While I didn’t have to contend with anything as horribly dramatic as cheese ball-gate 09, I did have a few food slip-ups. But each time shortly after I started to venture towards the dark side I got myself together and vowed to work harder next time. Story of my life.

At the beginning of this little adventure I decided I was going to contract the services of a personal trainer. I figured that if I had a professional create a program that was designed specifically for me it would go a long way in helping me achieving my goal of permanent weight loss. That, and I was hoping the expense and accountability that comes with meeting this person once a week might actually keep me honest. I didn’t really have a gender preference when selecting a trainer, but I did want someone I could relate to. My mental image of a personal trainer is some perky little nightmare wearing matching pink gym clothes sporting a very high ponytail with her navel on display. You know who I’m talking about - they usually have a little rose or heart tattooed on the small of their back and go by Brittney or Tiffany. I was willing to accept someone like that training me, although I had all kinds of plans to loathe her and make fun of her behind her back. After all, she is stupid and I am smart. That is the natural order of things.

Who I ended up with is not at all like that. Sure, she is an itty bitty thing, but I might have been skeptical shelling out $50/hour to someone who looks, well….like me. She is not at all annoying, and can communicate in complete sentences without inserting the world ‘like’ every few seconds. What I was really worried about (masked of course by my plans to make fun of her) was being judged, and I didn’t feel any judgment coming from Trainer-Lady at all. Even after the first visit when she weighed and measured me. That was a horrible experience. Standing half naked with my arms out having someone pull a measuring tape around all the parts I have become a master at hiding was appalling. I can't imagine what she was thinking while doing that. Was she secretly making fun of me in her head? Was she starting to panic because I could at any minute use my massive girth to squash her to bits and then eat her? Whatever she was thinking, it never showed on her face and at that moment I decided I was going to like her. Trainer-Lady is now the only other living soul on the planet that knows the real deal. I guess I’ll have to really lose the weight now. Or kill her. But I swear I wouldn't eat her.

On the exercise front I put forth a respectable effort, but not stellar. I worked out three times when my goal was four, but in my defense the weather here has been so ridiculous there were days I just couldn’t go anywhere unless it was to report for work or pick up a kid. Most of you have no idea what -40 feels like, and you are damn lucky you don’t. It sucks ass more than any adjective on earth could possibly come close to describing. I HATE it and I can’t believe I live in this province.

I am hoping this week is the week that I really step it up. The weather is supposed to dramatically improve and the days are starting to get just a little bit longer. Soon I expect the light will come on and my inner health freak is going to rise up and be victorious. Hope springs eternal, right?

Right?

I lost 2.4 pounds last week. 56 to go.

6 comments:

Laufa said...

Woohoo on the weight loss and I'm glad your not going to eat trainer-lady. Keep at it and great job!!

Mrsbear said...

You're doing great and having a trainer is such an advantage. I'm so glad she's not an Alicia or a Brittney and someone you can actually respect. It'll make a difference. And exercising 3 days is better than 0. Congrats on the weight loss. ;) Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Great job! Sometimes the hardest thing to do after a food slip up is to get your mind straight again. Good job!

Keely said...

You lied - you said you only lost a pound. :P 2.4 is awesome. Now go get a massage so I can kick your ass at squash.

Casey said...

Hey, 2.4 lbs is nothing to scoff at! I know exactly which trainer you speak of, I specifically requested a male one time to avoid her. I'm glad you like the new chick and don't plan on eating her. Muscle doesn't taste well anyway, too chewy.

Good luck this week and keep it up!

East Norwalk Countertops said...

Lovee this