This is a super politically incorrect thing to say, but I will admit that while I miss them, I don’t hate it when my children leave my house to spend time with their father. It helps they are older (8 and 12), so they understand what is going on, they know they’re coming back, and they have a good father. And the unintended result is that I have time by myself. And OMG it turns out I am my favorite person to hang out with! I seem to always want to do the exact thing I feel like doing. Like, every single time.
Last week was Christmas, and aside from a bit of juggling here and there for the actual holiday, I had the kids for the whole week. But now it’s the week after Christmas, so their father has them this week. And my workplace made the absolutely dazzling decision to shut down the two weeks around Christmas and New Years, because who would have a culture emergency during that time anyway? Artists are shitfaced at the best of times, never mind all the sparkling shenanigans going on at years end. So that means I have an entire 7 days without any work or parenting responsibilities WHATSOEVER. I’m pretty sure the last time that happened I was twelve.
The Week of Me started yesterday at noon. I have a whole list of stuff I’m going to do. In no particular order:
- De-Christmas. Fucking needles. And not the fun heroin-y kind either.
- Make turkey soup from the decaying carcass in my fridge. ……It’s more delicious than that sounds
- Find a new series on Netflix and watch it ALL in one sitting. Only breaks allowed are to pee and make more nachos. Suggestions welcome. For both series options and nacho toppings.
- Drink beer in the afternoon without guilt or feeling like a cast member of 16 and pregnant. But, you know, old. And not at all pregnant.
- Go cross-country skiing. I’ve had this idea for a while now, but it is frequently thwarted by the fact it’s often -40 here. And I’m not too sure where the trails are. And I don’t really know how to do it. And I don’t have skis, poles or boots. Let’s put a pin in that one.
- Have a dance party for one in my kitchen with the music blasting. Check!
- Decide what bathing suit(s) I need to bring to the fabulous warm-holiday I will be taking with SuperKeely and Politica at the end of January. I’ve lost a decent chunk of weight lately, so it might be fun. Then again, it’s BATHING SUIT shopping. Generally speaking I come away from that experience feeling like Hagrid in drag.
- Organize my itunes. Why hasn't someone invented some kind of software program that intuitively knows what song I mean when I type in “that song from the 90’s with the guy with the high voice and long drum solo”? I mean, really.
- Increase my ‘fuck that guy’ list by one. This guy has been MIA for more than a week after standing me up last Saturday. Real nice, eh? This list is now at two, by the way (the ex-husband earned the first spot). I have high hopes 2014 will see a significant increase. ;)
I’ll keep you all posted on how my Week of Me is going. So far, it’s been everything I thought it would be and more.