Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fat Chick vs. Food - Week 6

Hello all! I know its Tuesday and I really should be all random, but I didn’t post fat chick yesterday and I need to catch up. I don’t have very many self-imposed blog rules, but posting weekly on the fat-stats is one of them. Actually, it’s the only one.

It was a mixed week; I worked out Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I think Wednesday should count as two days of exercise because it was the most excruciating 45 mins of my life. Some callous individual created this merciless exercise class called “Xtreme Kettlebell Workout”. I’m not sure what happened to the first ‘e’ that should be out front of ‘xtreme’, but I’m guessing it’s in the bathroom vomiting because that’s where I almost ended up three quarters of the way into that class. It was unpleasant.

On Friday I took off to BC for the weekend to visit some friends. I had planned to maintain a strong resolve and adhere to my strict caloric intake during the entire weekend. Uh huh. I didn’t even get out of the Regina airport before that plan was abandoned. Our flight was delayed by two hours and I decided to celebrate with a cheeseburger. I had to contend with a cranky toddler for two hours in the worlds lamest airport – food was my only weapon! Huh? What’s that? Yes, I needed to eat it too. Shut up.

The rest of the weekend was a complete blow out. Don’t get me wrong, most meals I ate were healthy enough, but when you eat your weight in them I don’t think it counts anymore. I also cheated. A lot. Full disclosure perfect strangers – please feel free to judge and berate me:

- I drank beer. Lots of it. At least six and probably more like eight bottles.
- I drank wine. Lots of it. At least four and probably more like six glasses.
- Two bowls of ice cream
- Half a brownie, but it was a HUGE brownie, so half was really more like one full brownie.
- Cinnamon scones. They were yummy, especially after I slathered butter all over them.
- Vending machine food at the airport. Enough said.

I’m pretty sure there were more indiscretions, but those are the highlights. Consequently, I weighed in this morning and I’m up 2.5 lbs.

But, I’m going to use this as a personal test for me. In the past, right around the beginning of the second month I fall off the wagon due to something – a holiday, crappy life circumstance, boredom, whatever, and then I stay off. For about a year. All of my progress is wiped away and then some. I am not going to do that this time – I have been eating very well today and I’m going to the gym after work even though I don’t at all feel like it. What I really want to do is go home and see the other two kids who did not have the benefit of a weekend trip. My boy told me today that he missed me. Just like that – I was getting ready for work and he popped his head in the bathroom and said, “I missed you mom” and then took off like a bat out of hell because he (correctly) predicted the hugging and kissing that was about to be bestowed upon him. My boy is a fellow of few words, and when he does have words they’re usually aggressive and/or smart-assy. That kid must have missed me BAD to spit that out.

But, as I was saying I am not going home to my son who missed me, I’m going to the gym. I have to. I can’t give in to the reasons I can’t go, even if those reasons are good ones. It’s too slippery a slope, and if I indulge my desire to be elsewhere on a day that is scheduled to exercise it usually marks the beginning of the end. I’m going to the fucking gym. BLAH.

6 comments:

Keely said...

Tell him he can stay up late so you get to see him ;)

Good for you. I missed you too!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Good for you holding yourself accountable and forcing yourself to go to the gym... Did you let your son stay up late so he could get those aforementioned hugs and kisses? ;)

Laufa said...

Sounds like your friends know how to have a good time with yummy food. Oh, sorry, I'm supposed to be against that. At least you are headed to the gym and knowing you were missed always feels good. Too bad you had to leave to hear it. Have a great week!!

beth said...

You know, that would be a pretty clever name for a new gym, "The Fucking Gym". I would definately sign up there.

Mrsbear said...

There's a lot to be said for being honest and climbing back on the horse...er...wagon...er...kettleball...whatever. You're doing good. No worries. It's nice being missed isn't it. I should obviously go away more.

Rickie said...

I'm impressed, to quite impressed, regarding your food intake while in Van. I seem to eat my weight in sushi, oysters, pinot noir, ,and champagne...and trust me, I weigh a lot ....that's a lot of raw fish....Way to stick to the gym...I would carefully step away from the kettlebells...they are the spawn....(and for the record, not very good for you - I'm a physio remember? :P)